Know Your FERTILITY WELLNESS
Take the first step in knowing your fertility wellness today!
A basic fertility health check consists of:
- For women: ultrasound scan & hormone blood test
- For men: semen analysis
- Review of the results with a gynae
Need the much-needed peer support while trying to conceive? Join our Fertility Support Group and ask anonymous questions to members of the group or our panel of fertility experts.
FAQs about Fertility Health Checks
1) WHAT is a fertility health check?
It is an assessment of a couple’s fertility – to identify areas that may affect their chances of a natural pregnancy.
For women, it includes an ultrasound scan and hormone blood test. For men, it will include a semen analysis. In some couples, specialised scans and additional tests may be required*.
* Further tests recommended by the gynaecologist is not be part of ILC’s Know Your Fertility Wellness campaign fertility health check package and subject to prevailing fees/charges.
2) WHY should couples go?
It is to help identify contributing factors and eliminate any conditions that could prevent or delay a healthy pregnancy.
Some reasons include: mild symptoms such as menstrual cramps, which are often dismissed as “normal”, and low sperm count and quality (which cannot be detected without lab tests).
Being healthy is not a sign of being fertile.
3) WHO should go?
Couples who are planning for children. It is also recommended for newlyweds, those trying to conceive and couples who have been trying for more than six months without success.
It takes two to complete a fertility health check.
4) HOW long will this check 'last'?
There’s no official ‘validity period’ as fertility is affected by many factors, such as age, stress, health, etc. which may occur any time.
If there are no significant changes to the couple’s health profile, and where the fertility check shows normal findings, then a couple (under 35 years) may try for baby naturally for the next one to two years.
Don’t guess your fertility health when trying to conceive.
A repeat fertility check may be considered for couples who had a previous pregnancy and/or delivery:
- A long interval (2 years or more) from last pregnancy/delivery
- Surgery performed since the last check (including caesarean section)
- New illness or change in health since the last check (including new medications or treatment)
- Couples above 35 years old
Did you know: Only a third of infertility cases are due to female problems. A third are due to males and the remaining third are due to unknown causes.
5) WHERE can couples go?
Couples can visit any hospitals or clinics that has a gynaecologist with special interest in fertility. Each hospital and doctor may recommend different tests, depending on the couple’s fertility wellness. Fees vary according to the tests and doctors’ consultation.
Visit this link to find out more!
Not ready for babies? It’s never too early to check.
6) WHY is conception difficult?
Some reasons include: endometriosis, advanced age, increased body weight and infrequent sexual intercourse. Infertility can also happen to couples who previously had a successful pregnancy.
The first pregnancy does not guarantee the second.
About Traditional Chinese Medicine Fertility Consultation
A Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Fertility Consultation consists of up to an hour consultation with a TCM physician on:
- the couple’s body type and physical constitution according to TCM diagnosis
- how natural therapies such as diet, lifestyle changes, herbal med and acupuncture can be used to boost their natural fertility
- how TCM can complement western treatment, if any
This consultation is also suitable for Muslim couples. TCM medications are not halal certified. For Muslim patients, only botanical herbs will be used.
I Love Children
Know Your FERTILITY WELLNESS
I Love Children is organising the fertility campaign in November 2020 and is partnering both:
Thomson Fertility Centre to offer couples1 sponsored fertility health checks worth $400 each to help couples understand their fertility wellness; and
Thomson Chinese Medicine to offer couples2 TCM fertility consultations worth $120 each, to help them understand their body constitution.