4 February 2015, by Tan Yi Lin

Pregnancy: The Old & The New

Last week, I went for my 20th-week detailed scan. I’m happy to share that our baby girl is growing well and on track for her expected arrival in mid-June.

After the scan, I revisited my old blog entries where I wrote about the 20th-week scans when I was pregnant with Coco and Claire. Given how awful my memory is nowadays, it’s really nice to have these old entries to fall back on to remember our parenthood journey in the last 5 years. It makes the effort that goes into maintaining this blog really worth it.

Reading my entries on pregnancy back in 2011, 2012 and 2013, I find some aspects of my third pregnancy experience so familiar and others, totally new. Friends comment, “Third time round for you – you probably know what exactly to expect already!”

Well, not quite. Like all mothers would tell you, every pregnancy is different. With the first, everything was new and amazing. Then, there’s a certain familiarity as you experience pregnancy the second time – and it’s just as amazing. With the third – and probably my last – pregnancy, it feels bittersweet that I will never experience my body in this gestational state again and for that reason, I’m deeply appreciative and still very amazed at how nature is able to bring forth life from within me.

To commemorate the halfway mark for this pregnancy, here’s a rundown of the familiar and the new in this ongoing journey to parenthood.

The Old

1. Re-experiencing the debilitating first-trimester fatigue and hunger pangs.

2. Welcoming back pregnancy boobs (especially appreciated for boobs worn by breastfeeding *sob*) and maternity wear (great excuse to wear leggings to work!)

3. Baby’s movements – savouring the tiny punches, jabs and kicks within.

4. Falling sleep to the steady rhythm of that tok-tok-tok thing.

5. Enjoying the deep breathing and stretches during pre-natal yoga class (although for no.3, this now refers to the instructor modifying the moves for me during lunch-time yoga in the office sports hall instead of shelling out $$ for pre-natal yoga sessions in a private studio like what I did during the first pregnancy!)

The New

1. Puking throughout the day in the car, in the office and at home. “Morning sickness” is such a misnomer. I’m just glad that this over.

2. Chicken cravings – chicken rice, chicken porridge, chicken nuggets, chicken cutlets, chicken burgers, fried chicken. Does this baby eat anything else?!

3. Old bones. Age has caught up with me and I lug my pregnant butt around just trying to keep up with the girls’ constant demands to “Come here / go there/ stand up / sit down, mummy!” Whatever has happened to leisurely baby showers and blissful babymoons?

4. A 20th-week scan that took all of 15 minutes. We had never before had such an efficient experience, especially with Claire.

5. A winter holiday while pregnant with 2 kids in tow. This very week. WISH US LUCK.

In writing this entry and looking back on my blog here on Maybebaby, I have come to realise that throughout 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and now 2015, I have spent a part of EVERY YEAR being pregnant. If anyone had told be during our IVF journey that this would be my life, it would have been inconceivable (quite literally) to me back then. I would have laughed in their faces. And not quite politely too.

No wonder colleagues gape and exclaim, “You’re pregnant? AGAIN?!?!” when they bump into me with my bump around the office. Their reaction kinda makes me feel like a sow but now that I think about it, I don’t quite blame them for reacting that way.

On the contrary, I’m very grateful that things are this way. So to couples trying hard for a baby, don’t give up. Pregnancy and parenthood may seem out of reach at present, but they aren’t completely inconceivable.

Posted on : February 4, 2015

Filed under : Uncategorized

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

May 26th, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Honey,

Thank you for leaving a note. Sorry to hear that it’s been tough trying for no.2. It does feel torturous at times – even though everyone says things like just take it easy, just relax and it will happen! Hah. I hope our entries on IVF has made the process seem less foreign and scary. I hope things will go well for you and your daughter will have a sibling soon 🙂 Take care.

Honey

May 23rd, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Hi Yi Lin,

I chanced upon your blog entry while googling for information on IVF. It has been a very torturous 4-5yrs trying for the 2nd child. We had our first born in 2008 and was shelving the idea of the next child til 3-4yrs later.

However, this shelving took us longer than expected. My girl is an unplanned natural birth so we never thought of the route to IVF. As age is not on my side and the longing for a sibling for my girl, we made the decision to try IVF. We are in the initial stage of doing blood tests and checks and hopefully, with the advanced medical help, we can fulfil our dream and hope for another addition to the family.

Thank you for the detailed insights of the whole process of IVF and I wish you well….

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

March 30th, 2015 at 12:19 am

I continued with TCM meds after pregnancy. TCM physician assured me that they are safe. In fact, he added something for an(1) tai(1) – I think it’s to keep the womb warm and cosy to support the pregnancy!

Mama

March 10th, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Heeee….u and ur hubby, both r funny…..btw r u stilk tkng tcm medicine even after finding about pregnancy? If yes, is it immediate or u let some days pass by?

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

March 4th, 2015 at 10:09 am

Haha, you don’t believe in the powers of CoughSexTM and skilled little Stormtroopers? 😛 (https://www.maybebaby.sg/blog/2014/11/24/every-dark-cloud-has-a-silver-lining/)

Mama

February 26th, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hi Lin, Thanks a lot for replying…..Appreciate…Currently I’m going to Thong Chai Medical, Chin swee street…They r only gvng me herbal medicines, but no acupuncture or acupressure…….I think ur tubes unblocked…otherwise how can u conceive ur 3rd miracle? With blocked tube, it’s not possible to conceive naturally lah 🙂 heeee

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

February 23rd, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Hi Andy,

Yes, the speedboat transfer to Holiday Inn is a tad long at 45min. I was OK cos I’m not prone to seasickness, esp when there’s the ocean wind in my hair! Woot! If your wife is concerned about the ride, you could check with the gynae for anti-nausea medication that’s safe to take during pregnancy. Resort-wise, I very much preferred the Holiday Inn over Bandos.

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

February 23rd, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Given what a handful your 2 (soon to be 3) nieces are, I don’t think the folks (on our side, at least) are expecting that of you all too soon! Haha. Or you could ask the parents and watch their eyes glaze over… nyak nyak.

Tan Li Lin

Tan Li Lin

February 20th, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I have come to realise that throughout 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and now 2015, I have spent a part of EVERY YEAR being pregnant – ahahahaha!!! Oh man. (That had better not be the new standard)

Andy

February 20th, 2015 at 11:33 am

Hi Yi,

I’ve been trying to find a way to email you but I can’t seem to find a way email you.

We’re going to the Maldives and cancellation deadline is in one week. My wife is 5 months pregnant and we have bookings at both Bandos and holiday inn for four nights. If we choose the holiday inn we’ll save around 1500 USD because we’ll be using points instead.

My wife is concerned about the ride to the holiday inn. Was it bumpy for you? Would you suggest one or the other for a babymoon? We are not big divers or swimmers

Tan Yi Lin

Yi Lin

February 17th, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Hi Celine,
Of course we have a brilliant name already 😛 But that’s for Dan to share – naming is his forte!

Hi Mama,
Wow, it’s such an honour to hear that you stayed up till 4 am to read my blog. Thank you so much. I’m seeing Dr Lai Kok Fei at Bai Chuan TCM Clinic at Scotts Medical Centre (Pacific Plaza). He and his trained therapists administer a combination of accupressure (different from accupuncture) techniques and herbal supplements to treat patients. http://www.scottsmedicalcenter.com.sg/en/find-doctors-clinics/bai-chuan-tcm-clinic-pte-ltd

I hope that TCM will be of help to you. To be honest, I’m not sure if my tube are any less blocked after seeking TCM treatment since last April. But there have been obvious improvements in my health – I no longer have frequent headaches and neckaches, I sleep better, appetite has improved and I don’t have icy-cold hands and feet anymore. So many a good thing has come out of this!

All the best in your journey to parenthood. Feel free to ask questions or leave a note right here, anytime 🙂

Mama

February 12th, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hi Yi Lin, yesterday only I came across ur blog when me and my hubby were searching for ways to unblock my left FT hydrosalpinx….we liked ur blog so much tht yesterday we read till night 4am and today again…just now finished all d entries from 2010 july – 2015 feb…totally motivating…if u don’t mind, can u plz tell me which TCM doc u were going to….currently I want to gv herbal medicine a chance as my other tube and health conditions r totally perfect as per d doc.if not successful, we’ll go for IVF from may or june onwards….plz reply else u can mail me in bbgmkp@gmail.com

Celine

February 4th, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hi Yi Lin
Your story is a great encouragement to many. Thanks for faithfully sharing journey all these years 🙂 Any conceivable names yet?