25 August 2010, by Jaime Teo

Of Girls and Dresses

Everybody says that it’s very fun to play dress up with baby girls. Turns out, everybody is right! I didn’t realize that in her earlier months because we were busy getting acquainted. The how to drink, when to drink, when to change, how come always changing to change… You know, the practical things. Also, every nice thing she wore would be covered in a swaddle anyway so it wasn’t much fun to play dress up then.

Add to that the fact that Dan and I are big advocates of handmedowns (recyle!) since babies outgrow clothes at an alarming amazing rate. Renee has 3 boy cousins so we have many boy looking clothes. Buying more clothes just didn’t seem necessary. Practicality wins dressing up hands down.

I got the worst flak from my friends when I took her passport picture at her 2mth+ mark. This mommy didn’t give much thought to what she was wearing and her passport picture turned out liked this :

I still laugh everytime I see it but I strongly suspect Renee may want to burn her first passport when she’s old enough to know. My friends insist I have fraternal twins – a Renee and a Reno, depending on what she’s wearing.

On a side note, for those who are interested to know how to apply for a baby’s passport online, all you have to do is apply for it using APPLES. You will need baby’s details, your details, and a credit card to make an online payment of $70 for it. There is of course, the all important photo. Details on how to take the picture is here .

We put Renee on a white towel and held her hands down like this :

It’s evident she felt affronted at being pinned down.

Taking a picture from top down without a shadow on her, AND with her looking straight up so both sides of her head are visible isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s a job for at least two — one to pin her down and one to take the picture while making strange noises/faces so she’ll look straight up. I think she still didn’t quite know how to smile at that age so she looked grouchy most of the 50 shots we took.

I wonder how people did these things when digital cameras weren’t invented. I have the benefit of photoshop (which I used to make the background whiter and to resize the image to the required 400 x 514) and still my picture isn’t what I’d call perfect :p

After the passport incident, well meaning friends started buying clothes for her thinking her mommy has dubious dress sense. A friend also bought her a tank top and jeans so she could look like mommy :

I thought she looked like the sporty and androgynous sort… Maybe not the girly type. Then a friend gave us this dress and I fell in love with girly clothes :

So sweet right? =)

It’d be too much of an indulgence to put ALL the pictures of her in her many dresses here but let me just include this recent favourite :

“Can I have my milk now? Please?”

I foresee that expression when she wants to ask us for anything in future and I foresee an agreeable answer.

radya

November 22nd, 2010 at 4:09 am

came across your blog.. your girl is super chubby and cute! 🙂

aurorin

September 3rd, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Heh gorgeous arent they! Heh every girl needs a frilly dress(or 2.. or 3) in their worerobe!

iammyy

September 3rd, 2010 at 6:58 am

She’s so adorable ! My lil niece Giselle was mistaken to be my nephew when I took her out (even though she was wearing a pink polo)..guess it happens eh ? =)

Jaime Teo

Jaime Teo

September 3rd, 2010 at 6:54 am

hey guys, thank you for the nice comments! =)

celine: with the new biometric passports, you’ll need to change the entire passport if you want a new pic on it….. I think that will happen very soon 😛

chloe: so hair-raising her hair’s still raised now!!

cat : I have let those fingers out of her mittens. Her nails are so sharp but thankfully she isn’t scratching herself (as much) these days =)

aurorin: What box have you opened??! I have bookmarked that site!

jacobian

August 26th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

that baby is just so cute

aurorin

August 26th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

The photos are priceless! Esp the passport one! Heheheh.. Yes.. girls are great for dressing up. Even for a noob about fashion person like me (i dress like a tom boy), gets a thrill when my gal gets into frilly dresses.

Have you seen pettiskirts for kids? I fell in love with these..

Got her one for her first bday and i thought it was absolutely adorable! 🙂

Cat

August 26th, 2010 at 6:22 am

So sweet …..
oh by the way maybe u want to let her little hands out. according to my confinement nanny, baby will need to learn how to hold things so by letting her little hands out from 3mth old she will then learn ;o)

Chloe

August 25th, 2010 at 8:13 am

the passport photo taking must be a hair-raising moment for her!!! heheheh! ;D

Esther Kong

August 25th, 2010 at 7:46 am

Too cute!!! 🙂

Celine Yeo

August 25th, 2010 at 7:02 am

Ouch to Renee’s first passport photo!! It’s a blast tho! No worries…when she turns one or when she next travel, best to take another ‘úpdated’ photo. ICA will paste it on another page. I’m sure it will be a very different photo then 🙂

Poh Gek

August 25th, 2010 at 7:02 am

Adorable!

Dian

August 25th, 2010 at 7:01 am

Renee looking super sweet in the white dress.. maybe she’ll smile more when dressed in girly clothes.. 😉