“A great marriage isn’t something that just happens; it’s something that must be created.” – Fawn Weaver
By knowing your spouse's love language, it makes it easier to brighten up your spouse's day! Here are some ideas on how to use your spouse's love language to put a smile on his/her face and warmth in his/her heart.
Verbal appreciation – unsolicited compliments and encouragement mean a lot.
- Compliment on something specific that you like about him/her, if he/she looks good, let him/her know!
- Write him/her an encouraging note for important occasions where you know he/she will appreciate the support.
- Thank him/her for being your spouse and for being the parent of your children.
- Whisper love messages into his/her ears.
- Prepare breakfast in bed or a meal out of love to bring to work.
- Help take care of his/her parents’ needs or do little things for his/her sibling/s.
- Take the kids out so that he/she can have a much-needed nap.
- Prepare a clean towel and change of clothes for his/her bath.
- Get him/her that little something that he/she mentions casually.
- Make a card with the foot or handprints of your children and write individual messages in the prints and gift it, it is the thought that counts.
- You don't have to wait for a special occasion to buy a gift, if you see something that reminds you of your spouse, buy it and gift it to him/her.
Full, undivided attention – quality conversations and activities without distractions like the TV or smartphone make you feel special.
- Take a walk where both of you enjoy or even the place you first met.
- Cuddle up with one another on the living room sofa!
- Have a coffee (or non-caffeinated drink) date in a remote cafe.
- Have a shared hobby? Do it!
Where receiving hugs, pats, and holding hands show you care for your spouse.
- Give him/her a back rub or a neck massage.
- Hug and kiss him/her as you mean it, not just that usual customary peck.
- Surprise your spouse with a random hug or kiss.
- Hold hands or each other when out in public.
Dr. Gary Chapman wrote The Five Love Languages series regarding human relationships which outlines five ways to express and experience love through "love languages."
Take this quiz to discover yours or your spouse's love language!